29 Sep 2012

How my SMS and airtime websites make money


The promise of Free SMS and daily airtime draws are fairly decent traffic generators. Thousands of visitors hit my websites every day and while there are no dodgy subscription fees attached to my services and I do not sell user data, someone needs to foot the airtime and SMS bills at the end of the month (me).

I am surprised by how many people ask me how I pay the bills as the answer is a very simple one - Online advertising. Google AdSense provides me with an income stream that correlates to the number of visitors hitting my websites which enables me to buy more SMS and airtime as the sites get more traffic.

It's not simple to say how many people win airtime in a day or how many free SMS can be sent in a day as these numbers fluctuate each month (depending on advertising revenue) but are slowly increasing in the long term to sustain growth as traffic (and advertising revenue) increases. I do give as much advertising revenue back in the form of SMS and airtime as I can, though there are also other costs associated with running websites that need to be covered as well.

Right now the ratio of SMS to airtime spend is around 2:1 and my SMS site generally offers a better return on investment than my airtime site, but this may change in future if demand for free SMS dwindles (but hopefully it won't).

Thousands of SMS are sent from free082sms.co.za every month and visitors have way more chance of winning some airtime from ehtime.co.za than winning Vodacom millionaires or the Lotto :) You can see a list of some of the people on Twitter who have won airtime here.

9 comments:

monde84323 said...

unlike brands that promote s and give away free airtimes, mobidk is first class competition with multiple chance of winning. With mobidk luck is on everyone

I said...

Awesome, Thumb up to mobidick.co.za

Anonymous said...

I have been part of and taking part since, well i don't know, it's been very long. Modidk is just awesome! =D

thebe moagi said...

I like this article its well explained That awesome

Djamel said...

I always used and enjoyed this site till lately about a month or more sms are not loading nor getting sent i use cellc ,i dont know about other cellualar provider such as mtn,vodacom

Rich said...

thanks for the feedback and support Djamel... I will investigate the Cell C SMS problem when I have a moment, but I've put up a notification to let people know that it's out of order. I will post back here when I get it fixed - Thanks again.

Ronald Mogane said...

Hi Tech team, may you pls help me find back the sms's and their contact numbers that I've sent on the 21/12/2013 pls

Richard McKechnie said...

Sorry Ronald, this is not possible as I do not store any of the messages that are sent from the site...

monde84323 said...

What happened to Free082SMS? OMG!!